You can use cheap VPS services (EC2 or DigitalOcean) to mine CPU only altcoins. Here is a quick step-by-step guide how to mine those coins. This example is for DarkCoin [DRK] and DigitalOcean VPS servers.
- Create a DigitalOcean account. You can google for latest DigitalOcean promo codes to get rabates for first month.
- Create a “droplet” – this will be your VPS server. Recommended for CPU altcoins mining: 1 GB memory, 64-bit Debian 7.0
- Log in to your VPS “droplet” using putty (or any other ssh connection tool). Your server’s IP and root password will be included in an email from DigitalOcean.
- Download all needed libraries and build CPU coin miner from github source:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install automake autoconf build-essential bc curl dos2unix fail2ban git havegedsudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libdb++-dev libleveldb-dev libminiupnpc-dev libssl-dev m4 nano unzip vim -y
git clone https://github.com/ig0tik3d/xcoin-cpuminer
- Now your miner is ready. Type ./minerd -help for detailed list of available options.
- Start mining CPU altcoin (DarkCoin in this example):
./minerd -a X11 -o pool_addres:pool_port -u your_user.worker -p x
- Press CTRL-A and D to detach this screen. You will get back to previous console view. To check the current status of your miner type screen -r.
Find out more about Digital Ocean cheap VPS service. Use latest promo codes to get the best offer.