This is a short guide to solo mining various scrypt coins using cheap VPS servers from DigitalOcean. The example below is for ekrona, a new scrypt coin, but it can be easily modified to use with any other scrypt altcoin. Solo mining on VPS servers is effective only for scrypt coins with low diff factor.
Prerequisite: you need an account for VPS service provider. One of the most convenient and cheapest is DigitalOcean. If offers a $10 monthly service: 1 core, 1GB memory, 30GB SSD disk, 2TB transfer.
And here is the guide (an example for Ekrona coin):
- Log in to your DigitalOcean account and create a new droplet. Recommended settings: 2CPU 2GB Ram Ubuntu 13.10 64x. Minium 2GB RAM is required.
- Connect to your VPS using putty or other ssh2 connection method (see DigitalOcean documentation for details).
- Enter the following commands in a terminal window:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install yasm -y git make g++ build-essential libminiupnpc-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libboost-all-dev libdb++-dev libgmp-dev libssl-dev dos2unix
git clone https://github.com/ekrona/ekrona.git
make -f makefile.unix
sudo cp -f ekronad /usr/local/bin/
- Now copy and paste the following code as one and press Enter:
mkdir -p .ekrona
rpcpassword=youranypassword’ > .ekrona/ekrona.conf
- Run the deamon and watch current status:
watch ‘ekronad listaccounts & ekronad getmininginfo’
Please remember to copy your wallet.dat file to a safe place! You might need to use ssh file transfer to do it – see Digital Ocean documentation for details. You can also transfer this file through FTP or connect your dropbox account to your VPS.
Your wallet.dat file is in /root/.ekrona
Good luck with mining!