NovaCoin was launched in February 2013 as first scrypt PoW + PoS coin. In short words NovaCoin combines scrypt hashing (as in Litecoin) with PoS mechanism (as in PPC).
Official website with wallet downloads: http://novacoin.org
Remember to use the latest Novacoin wallet version from the official website to avoid blockchain issues.
Novacoin has no hard cap except for the 2 billion coin max that has been entered for coding purposes; this can be lifted in the future if needed.
Main NovaCoin features:
- scrypt hashing, PoW + PoS
- slightly different emission model
- separated target limits for Proof-Of-Stake and Proof-Of-Work
- new blocks signing protocol allowing implement the full p2pool support
NovaCoin emission model:
There are two types of blocks in NVC blockchain: Proof-of-Work and Proof-of-Stake. Each makes contribution into existent coins volume.
- Proof-of-Work block reward: nBlockReward = 100 / (nMaxTarget / nCurrentTarget) ^ (1/6)
- Proof-of-Stake block reward is based on CoinAge parameter and Proof-of-Stake difficulty. Interest formula: nRewardCoinYear = 1 / (nMaxPoSTarget / nCurrentPoSTarget) ^ (1/6)
NovaCoin block explorer: http://explorer.novaco.in
NVC mining pools:
NovaCoin can be exchanged to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on Vircurex coin exchange.